Valentine's Day is supposed to be a day where we shower those we love with gifts to show them we love them. At jewellery brand, Volstead, we think it should be a time to concentrate on yourself rather than the stresses of trying to find that someone a gift. Or, if you haven't got a someone, you should treat yourself. Here's a few reasons why:
1. On average, in the US, men spend around double the amount that women spend, which is around $130... you could just spend the money on yourself on things you actually want (Subtle hint below).
2. Valentine's Day is the second most popular day for sending cards after Christmas. Let's be honest, that can't be good for the planet. So, be a babe to the planet and just don't bother, save those trees people.
3. Over 220 Million roses are sent and received, to ultimately wilt and die in some water. We don't believe that should be an accurate representation of love. Maybe plant a tree, then if they dump you, you can do a dramatic act and chop the tree down... or just focus on yourself instead?
4. Although no one precisely knows the origins of Valentine's Day, it is believed it originates from a Roman festival called Lupercalia. Men sacrificed a goat, as well as a dog, then whipped women with the hides of the animals they had just slain, all whilst drunk and naked... women actually lined up to be whipped as they believed it would make them fertile... yeah... it's a no from us.
5. So where did 'Valentine's Day' come from? Well, we can thank the Romans for that. It turns out, Claudius, beheaded two men with the name 'Valentine' on the 14th of February, on different years...so the Catholic Church commemorated them by naming a day after them. So, we aren't too sure that this signifies love, so don't go beheading people you love, please.
Although Valentine's Day is not for everyone, we know how stressful it can be, we think more people should take some time for themselves. If you are single buy yourself something nice. If you are in a relationship, don't stress about a day that was named after two guys who got beheaded!
(Subtle hint alert) Thinking of treating yourself? Use code: FLYINGSOLO via our website and you can get 25% off your Volstead order. Check out our badass jewellery collection here